For the next several weeks we will be providing resources to have a time of Personal/Family Worship on Sunday mornings if you are unable to attend our outdoor worship service at 105 Margaret Dr. Elizabeth City, NC 27909. Below you will find an outline for the time of worship that will include songs via a YouTube playlist, discussion questions, and a video sermon led by Jason.
Personal/Family Worship Guide for September 20, 2020
Read Proverbs 100
Sing the songs on the YouTube playlist
Play the video sermon.
Link here: THIS WEEK'S SERMON
After the video spend some time answering/discussing these questions.
1. Why do you think pleasure is such an attractive path to pursue in the search to find ultimate gain in life?
2. Look back over the sources of pleasure listed in verses 3-10. Which calls most loudly to you? Why does it sound so promising? How did God create that source of pleasure and your longing for it as good? How has the fall affected that longing and distorted your interaction with it?
3. Read 2:1-2 and 11. How does Solomon evaluate the pursuit of pleasure as the key to gain and fullness in life? Why would he evaluate it in this way? In what ways is it vapor, striving after wind, and leave one with nothing gained?
4. How have you experienced pleasure to be vapor and a striving after wind?
5. Read vs 16-22. How well does pleasure do at relieving us of death, the ultimate unhappiness of life?
6. Read vs 17, 18, and 23. Why would Solomon look back at the pursuit of pleasure as the source of gain in life and have this response? How do you think Solomon would evaluate the American dream or the prosperity gospel?
7. Read vs. 24-26. Where is enjoyment actually found? Why?
8. Compare vs 24-25 with verses 1-10. What is similar, what is different?
9. Why can we not eat or find enjoyment apart from God? Why do you think we still try to?
10. How can one who is apart from God be brought near? How does this lead to the fullness of life?
Close in prayer
Please remember that you can give online HERE or by mailing your checks to the church.